The future is looking bright for MPA grads hoping to break into local government management. According to a report just released, State and Local Government Workforce Trends for 2016, 92% of respondents said that recruiting and retaining talented workers is a major concern for their organization in the upcoming year. That’s because thousands of baby boomers will exit for retirement. While that’s bad news for communities who will need to find qualified candidates to replace those seasoned employees, it’s good news for recent graduates who may be able to fill entry-level slots as other employees are internally promoted to fill vacancies.
Are you prepared?
Here are a few resources to help you as you begin your journey:
- For the A to Z on finding a job in local government; read the Job Hunting Handbook.
- ICMA keeps track of local government internships and fellowships so check out this website.
- Explore the ICMA Coaching program which includes free webinars and support tools to help you on your way.
- Join ICMA while you are still a student. It’s cheap ($25) and you get access to great resources and networking opportunities
- Enter the ICMA Student Photo Contest. You can win a trip to the ICMA Annual Conference with plenty of opportunities to network with hiring managers.